• New Academic offices
• Post Graduate Research facilities, project rooms and Laboratories
• Fully integrated IT Collaborative Learning Studios
• Full immersion 3D teaching environment
• Range of multi modal teaching environments
• Large pervasive Student commons area linking teaching rooms
• Specialist PC2 laboratories and support
• Design studios and high end IT studios.
The building is intended to become the focus and ‘home’ for the new School of Engineering, it will house specialist collaborative design studios, tutorial rooms and collaborative spaces as well as a reception facility and student services centre.
The tropical climate is conducive to open sheltered non-enclosed common student lounge spaces (similar to a tropical hotel) which are used as student commons to link the teaching learning areas and serve as multi-modal breakout and support spaces.
The project is designed to incorporate a range of structural strategies in its construction as demonstration elements to the students.
In keeping with the requirements of the campus masterplan, the building is to focus on sustainability of design. Consequently it is designed as 5 Greenstar (as built self assessed).
Full Immersion 3D Studio
The project includes a world leading 3D full immersion studio with ancillary support spaces. The studio provides a full 3D immersion environment with multiple programmable projectors for up to 20 students.
The facility allows students to create 3D structure or engineering models and test to destruction whilst they are inside the virtual model. It also allows engineering students to ‘visit’ complex manufacturing and processing plants around the world whilst remaining on campus. The facility will also be used by Nursing and paramedical students to ‘enter’ a live body or ‘go inside’ a beating heart.Environmental Sustainability
BHA have worked with WSP as the sustainability leader of the project to develop a range of strategies to meet the 5 Greenstar As Built (self assessed) requirements. These include:
• Reduced area of enclosed, air conditioned spaces
• Mixed model HVAC with fan induced thermal chimneys where possible
• Displacement AC delivery where possible to reduce energy requirements.
• Rainwater collection
• Hi-reliance on natural daylighting.
|completed:||December (expected) 2014|